Attorneys Fees for a DUI Case in Tampa, FL
At Sammis Law Firm, our DUI attorneys charge a flat fee of four thousand five hundred dollars ($4,500.00) for a first DUI charge involving either a refusal or a breath test reading. We provide each of our clients with a written fee agreement that explains the attorney fees and costs.
We provide a payment plan that requires one half of the retainer being paid to start. The other half can be paid in 30 to 60 days. In some cases, we accept a longer payment plan.
Some attorneys might quote you a lower price but that price probably doesn't include a formal review hearing to protect your driver's license, pre-trial motions, and a jury trial.
We charge a flat fee because we usually get the best result in the case only after we have fully prepared for trial. We have found that prosecutors often make the best offers to resolve the case right before the trial. Rarely do prosecutor make the best offer before the case is on a trial calendar or scheduled for pre-trial motions.
The goal after a DUI arrest is to spend the least amount of money overall. Keep in mind that not hiring a good attorney and getting a DUI conviction might be the most expensive route. When deciding which attorney to hire, you should consider their record of helping their clients avoid a DUI conviction.
Full-Service Approach to DUI Defense
By charging a flat fee we can fight the charges aggressively. Prosecutors know that we have formal review hearings in almost all of our cases and that we are prepared for pre-trial motions and trial. Prosecutors also know which attorneys don't typically conduct formal review hearing and charge extra for a trial - so choose wisely.
In addition to the attorney fees, we also require a $500 refundable payment into our trust account to cover any costs in the case. The costs in the case include:
- the $25 application fee for the 42-day permit so that you can continue driving while we fight the administrative suspension;
- costs to obtain the packet from the Florida DHSMV so that we have all of the documents in their file that will be introduced into evidence during the formal review hearing;
- the fee to serve the subpoenas on witnesses that must appear at the formal review hearing;
- the expense to hire a court reporter for the formal review hearing and the transcript of the hearing when needed;
- the cost to obtain the discovery packet from the State Attorney's Office, if any; and
- the cost to obtain copies of any audio or video recordings taken in connection with the arrest.
At the end of the case, any money left in the trust account is refunded to the client. The cost money that we request at the beginning of the case is enough to cover all anticipated payments to third parties that arise during the case.
The Attorney Fees for Aggravated Forms of DUI
The attorney fees are slightly higher if the client is charged with a DUI involving an accident or property damage or if the client has prior DUI convictions making this case a 2nd DUI or a 3rd DUI outside of 10 years.
Attorney fees are also higher if the client was arrested for other charges such as a second DUI refusal to submit to chemical testing, hit and run, driving on a suspended license, possession of marijuana, or resisting arrest either with or without violence.
The Attorney Fees for a Felony DUI
For a felony DUI, the fees can run much higher. Is DUI a felony or a misdemeanor?
Most DUI cases in Florida are charged as a misdemeanor under 316.193, F.S., In some circumstances, however, a DUI can be charged as a felony. Those circumstances in which a DUI can be charged as a felony include:
- a third DUI within 10 years of a prior conviction as provided in s. 316.193(2)(b)1., F.S. ;
- a fourth or subsequent DUI as provided in s. 316.193(2)(b)3., F.S.;
- when someone was seriously injured as a result of the DUI as provided in s. 316.193(3)(c)2., F.S.; or
- when someone is killed as a result of the DUI as provided in s. 316.193(3)(c)3.a., F.S.
For any of these cases, contact us for a free consultation to discuss the charges pending against you and the best ways to fight those charges. Read more about the costs and fees in DUI cases.
Keep in mind that by hiring a good DUI defense attorney, you might avoid many of the hidden costs that come with a DUI conviction.
Call 813-250-0500 today to discuss your case.
This article was last updated on Thursday, March 28, 2019.